Thursday, April 26, 2007

Oz XII - Canbore

When you tell an Australian that you are going to Canberra they ask why, and then try and persuade you not to go. I went and everything that I was told about Canberra was true. I was staying in the Civic Centre which is one of the city centres and architecturally it is reminiscent of Basildon. The whole city has a feel of Milton Keynes about it. Although it is surrounded by mountains and is a very green place to walk around, but if you do walk you will be one of the very few people to do so. I preferred Canberra to Adelaide and it is worth a visit if you are on your way from Sydney to Melbourne. The museums and public buildings are excellent and free. I spent two days touring round them and could have spent longer. The War Memorial is informative and has some great displays. The New Parliament is impressive if slightly strange. The architecture isn't necessarily pretty but the symbolism behind it is clever. The Muesum of Australia is great. It is new and the displays are imaginative. The Old Parliament is a great time capsule to walk around. If you have time it is worth popping down to the High Court and the National Gallery. The staff in all were friendly and helpful. If you are looking for city with nightlife then Canberra isn't the place to be. We found one pub that was open in the Civic Centre and that was it. I stayed in the Canberra City YHA, which has modern facilities. I did have 'snorting' man in my room, who snorted and cleared his airways on the hour every hour during the night. I was also constantly surrounded by asian travellers wretching in the bathrooms. I don't know why but it seems to be part of the asian culture that wretching is good for you. I don't know if there is any truth to this but it isn't one of the most pleasant habits people can have.
I was back on the Greyhounds from Sydney to Canberra and while they are easy and comfortable to use, like in a hostel your experience is completely dependent on the people around you. On the way to Canberra I boarded the coach and was sitting opposite a guy who seemed to have done far too many drugs in the past. He laughed constantly and tried to get everyone on the bus to wave out the windows. He then decided that I was some kind of magician and kept saying that I was a tricky girl. On the way back to Sydney the child sitting behind me vomited for 3 hours. Travelling is rock and roll.

No comments: