Wednesday, January 23, 2008

How to get a job on the mines in Australia

I have added this post because I have noticed a number of people visiting the blog in relation to my experience working on the mines in WA. What I have written below is my perspective on how to get a job. A perspective based on working as an Exploration Field Technician for Jubilee Mines at their Cosmos and Sinclair sites from August to November 2007. The suggestions below are by no means exhaustive.

How do I get a job on the mines of Western Australia?

1 - Know someone working on the mines.
It may be a long way removed from the old boys club of public schools and city corporations in London but the mining industry in many respects is closed to outsiders. A large number of jobs do not appear to be advertised to the general public. Most people I spoke to got their job because they knew someone senior who could get them the job or they had a friend who told them that there was an opening and told them who to contact. In the Exploration team a large proportion of Field Technicians got their job because someone senior wanted a job for a relation. I got my job because a friend of the family was a Geologist.

2- Find people working on the mines.
Do not despair if your uncle isn't on the board of directors of BHP. The easiest way to find people who work on the mines is to go where mine workers go. While life on the mines is more civilised then it once lots of mine workers still spend their R&R sitting in pubs. I spoke to one Drillers' Offsider who went to the pubs in Kalgoorlie and talked to people. He eventually found someone who gave him a name to contact higher up in the company.

3 - Contact the mine companies directly.
Speculative inquiries for mine jobs do not appear to be the norm but that doesn't mean they don't work. A colleague got her job by phoning around mining companies based in Perth.

4 - Who are the mining companies?
If you want more information then a good place to start could be doing the Marcsta course in Perth. The Marcsta is basic health and safety for mine sites. If you already have a job lined up then the mining company will often pay for you to do this (they did for me). When I did my Marcsta the majority of people did not have jobs lined up and the instructor spent most of the day talking to them about what sorts of jobs were available and what to expect on a mine site. The classroom where I did my Marcsta had maps with the names of all the different mines in WA. It would be possible to get the names of the mining companies here and then use the websites to get contact information.

5 - Do a course in Mining.
It is possible to do courses in technical colleges in Kalgoorlie and Perth on mining. One of the geologists on site did this in Kalgoorlie (rather than getting a degree in geology) and two of the Field Technicians I worked with did courses in Perth. The teachers on these courses often have contacts within the mining companies and can help you get a job.

6 - What jobs are currently available?
When I was on site Drillcorp had a large shortage of Drillers' Offsiders. Drillcorp are part of Boart Longyear. The shortage was so great that they seemed to be hiring people who did not necessarily match the traditional image of a Drillers' Offsider. Drill teams had to stop work because they did not have enough offsiders. Offsiders were doing extra long swings to compensate for the shortage. The situation may have changed but it could well be worth conducting Boart Longyear to see if openings still exist.

1 comment:

roosen8 said...

Thanks for the information, I have also come across this website which has been very helpful for me. Its http://www.getajobinthemines.com really good customer service. Well I am now off to the start of your blog to start reading, keep travelling safe.
Alice