Sunday, September 10, 2006

Canada

I am in Canada! I arrived a couple of weeks ago on the Amtrak Coast Starlight from San Francisco. Amtrak is a really nice way to travel just so long as you don't need to arrive on time. We arrived in Seattle 7 hours late. Apparently when the Coast Starlight runs South it can arrive in LA 13 hours late. I met another nice family while having dinner on the train. The first thing the mother said to me finished with "eh" (sure fire sign of Canadian). "eh" is extremely common and I find it endearing. I really like different accents. It makes it much easier for an ignorant English person to distinguish between Americans and Canadians.

I am staying with my Great Uncle Bill and his wife Ann. They live about the same distance from downtown Vancouver as I do from central London (about an hour). The difference is that the scenery round here is spectacular. You realise you are living in a wild part of the world when your Great Uncle tells you to watch out for coyotes whilst walking the dogs. I spent a couple of days with them and then went to downtown Vancouver.

No comments: