Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Hmmm Portland...

I stayed in Portland 2 nights and it wasn't a moving experience. Portland is a nice place. The cty centre is compact and walkable. The public transport is excellent and certain parts are free. There are lots of restaurants. There is no sales tax. The people are very nice. Prices are cheap. However, I struggled to find things to do in Portland (even in a day). It strikes me as a nice place to live but if you are visiting there isn't anything really worth seeing. The countryside surrounding Portland is apparently very pretty but I couldn't see Mount Hood because of the almost constant overcast clouds and rain. In every way it was mediocre compared to the other cities I have visited on my travels (maybe thats why it would be a good place to live).
The hostel I was stayed in was the worst one I have stayed in so far. It was HI Portland NW. The staff were very friendly. However, the room I stayed in didn't have a door (just a curtain) and there weren't big lockers in the room to put your bag. Also it isn't a good start when you look at the bunk below you and see lots of empty crushed beer cans. The occupier of the bed then walked in and smelt of crushed beer cans and sweaty tobacco. He had his stuff strewn across the room and so did the other members of the room. He seemed like a nice enough guy just an alcoholic whose lungs were shot through smoking and with a personal hygiene problem.

No comments: