Sunday, September 24, 2006

You know you are hungry when...

It was 7.30am nowhere was open and I was about to sit on a coach for 8 hours. The chef/server in the Greyhound station cafe in Sacramento didn't have any front teeth and it looked like the other teeth weren't planning to hang around for much longer. The bloke's uniform appeared to consist of different stains. Normally fast food restaurants put the dirty members of staff in places you can't see them, such as the kitchen. I plumped for pancakes and they were pretty awful.
One of the great things about North American living is how cheap it is to eat out. In many circumstances you are paying in dollars what you would pay in pounds and then you throw in the exchange rate. Not only that but you get either very good or huge portions. I struggle with free refills because I always feel the need to get my money's worth at the expense of how much I will happily drink before feeling ill. Everywhere will give you tap water without considering you to be the lowest form of mankind.
The standard of service is generally high. In Portland I chanced upon a restaurant called Gyspy that from the outside looked dodgy but was in actual fact very good. The food and service were excellent (best mashed potatoes I have ever had), for some reason the waiter also gave me free drinks. The worst place for service is on Amtrak. The food itself is pretty good (though more expensive than standard American prices) but the service is appalling. The waiters are constantly aggressive and back biting.

No comments: