Tuesday, September 05, 2006

San Francisco

OK so I am quite a bit behind with the blog, I am just too busy having a great time (and I am lazy).
San Francisco is cold in the Summer. Mark Twain recognised this a while back, "the coldest Winter I ever spent was a Summer in San Francisco" (or something along those lines). Apparently San Fran is much warmer in the Spring and Autumn. When I say cold you need a jacket and trousers and if the sun is out you probably don't need the jacket during the day. It is also pretty windy. One of the amazing sights to see in San Fran is to watch the cloud come flying in across the bay from the Pacific ocean. I took to wearing shorts whilst in Chicago a habit I was disappointed to drop in San Fran (though you'll be glad to know I have been wearing them with avengeance in Vancouver).
I managed to get around and see most of the big sights while I was there. I did quite a bit of sightseeing with Jeremey from the improv course. We walked the Golden Gate Bridge (very impressive) then across the Marin Headland to Sausalito. Sausalito was one of my favourite places to visit. It is extremely pretty and while a tourist trap it doesn't feel tacky. Fisherman's Wharf on the other hand feels very tacky, in many respects it reminded me of Southend (not as many mini-skirts though). The hilly streets are amazingly steep. The city feels haphazard in design yet picturesque at the same time. I rode a Cable Car while I was there which was great fun. One day I walked from China beach round the headland to Land's End then down to Ocean beach through Golden Gate Park, along Haight Street, up into Twin Peaks, and down to Market Street (a long way). I managed to see the England vs Greece friendly in an Irish Bar. Alcatraz was well worth a visit, the audio tour was great, former inmates and wardens spoke about their experiences of the prison.
The HI Fisherman's Wharf hostel is very good. It is in the Fort Mason grounds, and it kind of feels like a summer camp. The rooms were all clean. The bathrooms were clean (the communal shower wasn't really an issue). The cafe (Cafe Franco) was excellent and cheap, it is open to the general public and I would recommend a visit. The staff were very friendly, much nicer than any other hostel I have ever stayed in.
I enjoyed my time in San Fran. However, I did always feel like an outsider looking in. It really helps if you have a local contact to get you on the other side of the looking glass.

No comments: