Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Accent Adventures

The urban legend that American women collapse at any English guy's feet due to the accent has so far proved to be inaccurate (although I haven't said "I am from Basildon). In New York very few people commented on the accent due to it not being unusual with the number of expats living in NY and the number of English tourists. In Chicago the number of comments has increased significantly. Somewhat surprisingly alot of these comments have come via the improv. It appears very few English improvisers come to Chicago. On Monday morning, after I had performed in a couple of scenes, Miles Stroff queried whether it was my real accent or if I had been method acting all morning. A few people have commented that I sound like the Beatles (John Lennon especially apparently). I can't imagine what Lennon would think about this.
I had a couple of run-ins with Keith Johnstone over my accent. On the second day I was in a scene, he stopped it because he couldn't understand what I had just said. He asked if I was English, I said yes, he replied "Not from the England I know". This irritated me a touch. It was a joke at my expense and a bit snobby. Anyway on the final I was in a scene and again he stopped it because he misheard what I said, I explained what I said, and then said "This is how we speak in modern England". This drew laughs and gasps from the gallery. Johnstone didn't respond.

I was at a party with Jon, which spilled onto the adjoining roof. Opposite the roof was a balcony where two ladies were enjoying the evening air. The party goers decided to try and persuade these ladies that it would be a good idea to join the party. They declined. The group then decided that my accent would save the day. I went over to charm them with Estuary English (for the sake of the party). They yelled back that they doubted it was a real accent.

So far the people who seem most impressed by my accent are women with boyfriends. When I was in New York Rachel's cousin's girlfriend asked me to speak because she wants to marry an English guy. Adam's girlfriend told me that she liked the way I pronounced 'th' as 'f' (after playing the Cockney villain in Dirty Water). When I went to see Second City I chatted to the girl sitting next to me, as we neared the end of the conversation she informed me (in hushed tones) that I should really use the accent as American girls love it.

I have taken to telling everyone that I am from London and if they show any further interest I tell them that in actual fact I am from Essex. A number of people seem genuinely delighted to learn that I am from England because they can then inform me of a random story of when they went to England (I do the same thing reversed). A lot of American guys seem pleased to speak to me because then they can chat about football. I quite enjoy this and in general they are pretty well informed. There is a pretty healthy interest in the Premiership and there was a great deal of interest in the World Cup.

No comments: