Sunday, August 06, 2006

A night at the Annoyance

I have only seen one show at the Annoyance during my time in Chicago. It was their opening night for their new venue, Susan Messing and Mick Napier doing a montage, it was superb. The cherry on top was that it was free, there was free pizza and I got to meet Mick Napier.

Last night I went to see 3 of their shows; President Bush is a Great Man, Grabass, and the Crickets (improv show). Pres Bush was excellent. It was a very clever satire of songs and short sketches. The performers were great. What really made it stand out from the crowd was the choreography. The scene changes were transitions involving the whole cast coming on to the stage and then leaving again. It was very smooth and didn't feel forced. In some ways like the transitions in a very good Harold opening. Grabass (described to me as the most retarded show in Chicago) was to say the least weird. It was the cast of Pres Bush with Mick Napier doing a series of weird sketches or character monologues. It wasn't hilarious but it was entertaining. One of the most peculiar images I will take away with me will be Napier playing the Cookie Monster (he also played an Ant and a stroke victim). The Crickets again were the cast of Pres Bush and Napier, performing a montage. There were only 4 audience members by this stage so they were having fun for themselves. A number of scenes didn't really get going, but the ones that did could run and run. When I was leaving I very briefly spoke to Napier and then I bumped into TJ, telling him how great his Wednesday night show was. He had a beautiful woman on his arm who must grow frustrated that blokes only have eyes for her other half. One of the nicest things about the improv community in Chicago is the ability to go and talk to the improv 'stars'. The vast majority of times they are friendly and accepting of compliments.

No comments: