Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Amtrak and San Francisco

After two and a half days I have finally made it to San Francisco. The train arrived 4 hours late, which is apparently pretty good. My carriage wasn't too busy apart from the first day so I was able to have two seats to myself. Travelling by train is a great way to see some scenery (I will be getting my pictures from my trip online soon). It is also a good way to meet people. On the first day I chatted to the guy sitting next to me. I then went for dinner and ended up sitting with this family of three who were on their way back from a weekend in Chicago. We got chatting and it turned out that their son was a train buff. I found a lot of information about Amtrak, a touch geeky but interesting nevertheless. At the end of the meal they paid for my dinner, which was very nice of them. The next day I had breakfast with a couple and an author. I had dinner with a teacher from Berkeley. The following day I had breakfast with an old guy who discussed catching wild horses in Nevada (and prostitutes which he called cats), a guy from Sacramento and a guy starting university in California. For lunch I met up with the couple from the day before, who paid for my meal. I wasn't begging for people to pay for my meals, nor was I saying I was poverty stricken. It just seems that I met lots of nice people on the train. They all seemed fascinated by my Englishness, the improvisation, and my travels.
I am writing this blog entry from the Hostel at Fisherman's Wharf San Francisco. It is quite a big place with lots of guests. I am in a four bed dorm. There appear to be quite a mixture of accents. I will go and explore tomorrow.

No comments: