Sunday, August 27, 2006

Chicago - thoughts and feelings

I had an absolutely brilliant time in Chicago. The course was superb with excellent teachers. The people in my class and other classes were friendly and interesting. There was always someone to chat to after class or at a show in the evening. iO was a great place to hang around as a novice to improv in Chicago. I enjoyed going to see shows at Second City, the Playground, the Spot, and at Annoyance. It was great to be able to guest spot in Dirty Water.
Having Jon as a local connection gave my time in Chicago even more dimensions. He got me the guest spot in DW. He is a man who appears to know every improviser in Chicago so he introduced me to lots of people. His friends were all really nice to me. I was entertained at many parties by interesting people. It gave me a perspective on improv outside of iO and a perespective on Chicago as a city to live. It also meant I didn't go stir craxy simply staying in iO and staying with my class all the time.
Chicago as a city is great. Public transport is excellent. Everything is within relatively easy walking distance. Downtown is big enough to be interesting without being suffocating. The buildings downtown are very pretty. The parks are beautiful, the beaches are great. The nightlife is varied. The weather was hot and sunny the majority of the time I spent there. The people were friendly and helpful. It is improv mecca.
One of the great things about Chicago is hanging out in bars with fellow improvisers, and 'star' improvisers. Miles actively encouraged us to drink with him in the bar during the final week and discuss improv. After I saw TJ and Dave (another great show) I got chatting to TJ about his guest spot with Dirty Water in September and we chatted about my travel plans (TJ is a top bloke). I chatted with Noah (of iO fame) about improv in the UK and I spoke to Joe Bill on a few occasions.

No comments: