Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Prayer

On Friday I went downtown to do some sightseeing. I was taking some pictures at the Buckingham Fountain (biggest water fountain in the World) when an old woman and a young attractive woman approached me. I thought this was strange. They introduced themselves and said that they noticed I was taking some photographs and wondered if I was from out of town. I explained I was in Chicago doing an acting/comedy course (improv can be too complicated to explain at times) and that this was part of a larger tour for me. They seemed genuinely interested and were very nice and polite. They explained that they were doing sightseeing in the afternoons and evenings because they were spending their days at the University of Chicago studying the Bible. At this point alarm bells went off in my head and explained why an old woman and an attractive woman would approach a random bloke at a fountain. They asked whether I would mind discussing my religious beliefs, being English and not wishing to be rude to two people who had been very polite and nice I agreed. I launched into an explanation of increasing secularism in the UK, a trend seen across Western Europe, stating that most people attend Church for births, deaths and marriages but that was about it. They said that they felt happy because they knew Jesus loved them (I did think this a bit presumptuous but I didn't query their confidence) and that their beliefs had filled a void in their lives. I advised them that maybe when I realise my own mortality or have some near-death experience or find a void that I might turn to religion. I do find it disconcerting to speak to people who are so dogmatic in their beliefs. I think born again Christians are quite off-putting because they are so 'nice' with it. They asked me if I could be included in their prayers that evening and if I had any problems on my mind. I told them that I didn't have a care in the world, I was tempted to mention the Israel-Lebanon conflict but decided not to, and that evening prayers wouldn't be required. They then asked if they could pray for me right then, again they said it nicely so I couldn't be rude and say no. What then proceeded was a very awkward moment of them praying for me and me standing there holding my camera looking like a lemon. I am sure they send old women and attractive young women on these escapades because it is unlikely a man is going to be rude to either and combined makes it doubly difficult. After all that they took my picture by the fountain, what can I say they were nice.

You can see the pictures on
www.flickr.com/photos/skimmens

No comments: