Sunday, August 06, 2006

Ball game

I went to my first ball game on Friday. It was the Chicago Cubs vs. the Pittsburg Pirates. The Cubs were thrashed 6-0, losing is apparently a tradition for them (although they beat the Pirates on Saturday and Sunday). Wrigley Field (the Cubs' stadium) was built about one hundred years ago. It is a very pretty place to sit and watch a game. The atmosphere inside is a little strange because most people there seem to be there to chat to their friends rather than watch the game. This makes it friendly but there isn't really much cheering or any chanting. In the 7th inning the whole crowd gets to their feet and sings a song. The crowd get most excited when a ball goes into the crowd and someone attempts to catch it. I was sitting up in the gods in the top tier. It was a pretty good view. I went for a wander to get a beer and watched the rest of the game from different parts of the stadium as no one challenged me. I would recommend going to see a game if you are in Chicago but don't bother with an expensive ticket just go for a wander. Also it doesn't matter if you don't know what is going on as you can just follow the crowd when they decide to applaud or boo. I got a bit over-confident with this appluading loudly when one of the Cubs' was run out (I don't know the correct term).

No comments: