Sunday, August 27, 2006

Improv in Chicago - End of Week 5

This is a bit late...
Miles Stroth is amazing! He was our teacher for Level 5. I have never looked at improv from his perspective before and I found it insightful and helpful. He is a tough guy with a reputation to boot but very fair and supportive. We spent the first day working on scenes (he saw us do some scenes to start with and said that they "sucked") and then the following three days were spent learning his Deconstruction long-form whilst continuing to work on scenes within this structure. The final performance we put on was very good and the group worked really well together. In a large part this was due to his teaching and making us do the Deconstruction. The form allowed the group to be presented in the best light, with everyone getting their moment in the spotlight. I am hoping to do some workshops with him when I get to LA.
On Tuesday night of my last week in Chicago I went to see the Second City mainstage show. It was very good entertainment (a sketch show with some improv) and the performers were very slick. However, it didn't feel like they were taking any risks. It felt extremely safe. This is not a bad thing necessarily as they sell out every night and need to put on a good show every night.
On a side note, the funniest Harold I have seen was Deep Schaw on Sunday night.

No comments: