Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Hair cut

I decided to venture deep into male grooming today by getting my hair cut. In the past I would go to George and Savas, they would run a trimmer over my head, pull hair out with blunt scissors, and remove skin from my neck. I then grew my hair a bit longer and went to a Salon where they cut your hair with scissors. Last week a couple of gays (typo - guys) from my class went to a men only Salon called 'Halo'. Not only did they have a haircut, but for 25 quid they had the 'Man' treatment, this includes haircut & style, scalp massage, shampoo and conditioning treatment, parafffin hand wax, hand massage, mini facial, cleanup shampoo, and a complimentary beverage. They also told me that there were loads of free things in the Salon for you to take, for instance in the restroom there is shaving foam and razors so you can have a shave while you wait. I arrived early and made use of the facilities. When I arrived I realised that the Salon was not aimed at the cheap traveller market, rather the young whistle and flute city types, I was under-dressed in shorts and a t-shirt. The Salon was distinctly not aimed at the gay market as there appeared to be only beautiful women working. I got the impression that my stylist wasn't best pleased to have a random English guy rather then the usual suited clientele. The 'Man" treatment was different to anything I have experienced before. The paraffin hand wax is weird because you dip your hands in wax then wear mittens for 5 minutes before getting your hands massaged. The facial was also weird as you have a hot damp towel draped over your face. You know when its a fancy hair cut when your stylist doesn't cut hair with the scissors normally but instead shreds the hair with an open blade. I like the hair cut and for 25 quid you can't go wrong.

No comments: